You can transform your closet from a total mess to a crisply organized haven by assessing what you have and eliminating what you don’t need. A well-organized closet is a pleasure to use, as all the items you need are exactly where you want and expect them to be. Read on as Handyman Connection of Chattanooga explains how to organize your closet in five easy steps:
- Step One: Set a staging area where you can place all of the items from your closet. You’ll have to remove everything from your closet if you want the transformation to go without a hitch.
- Step Two: We suggest using a collapsible clothing rack to hang the clothes in your chosen staging area, so you can clearly see and sort through your things. Take your time with this process and make a mental note of your items.
- Step Three: Create an inventory and organize your belongings into specific categories. Place similar items in piles, plastic containers or in cardboard boxes. Keep track of everything by using labels.
- Step Four: Assign smaller subcategories if you have many similar items. During this stage, we recommend grouping small items together and storing them in jars so they don’t get misplaced.
- Step Five: Eliminate the items that don’t belong in that particular closet. Things that are not in their proper place make up most of the clutter in any house. Put everything back in its correct place. Donate, sell or throw out what you no longer need. Clean the closet before returning the items inside.
While organizing your closet, why not start planning other simple home improvement projects? For instance, you can add more storage spaces in your home. Handyman Connection of Chattanooga can help you with your storage problems, as well as with a variety of other home maintenance tasks. Contact us to learn more about organizing your closet. You can also ask for a free estimate.